Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Buy this Book!

Happy Wednesday afternoon, all!  Just a quick note to mention that my copy of friend Kat Mortensen's book of poetry, shadowstalking, arrived via our friendly neighboorhood UPS man this afternoon.  It's a handsome book as you can see (can't say much for the fellow modeling it!)

& you can have your very own copy: they're available for sale at Kat's dedicated shadowstalking blog.  Rumor has it that if you contact Kat directly you might get a signed copy.

I wrote about shadowstalking last week, & more generally the importance of kicking in something toward the online artists we support, even if their content can be had for free.  Simply put: it's the right thing to do.

Best wishes to Kat with her lovely book! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, John! (Funny, when I followed the link, I wasn't even thinking about MY book.)

    I do appreciate all the support.

    All the best,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat: You are really welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Kat!

    T. and I have been discussing the eventuality of poetry moving to the electronic book form. I think it will happen sooner rather than later -- a name like Billy Collins will decide to publish that way if the publisher will take full advantage of the design and hypertext opportunities. The publisher will jump on the opportunity because of the poet's name and because the book will be relatively small, meaning that it can be designed less expensively.

    Personally, I think it's something poets should embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent for mine earlier this week. Eagerly awaiting the post!

    I'm all for promoting the works of online artists!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi K & Martin

    K: Yes, I think that's a likely scenario. Of course, it's not uncommon for poetry to be published simultaneously in book & pdf form. I did that at lulu, & the pdf form is free--others have done this, too--the biggest "name" I'm familiar with who has done this is Bill Knott, a controversial figure, but definitely a "known" poet. I agree we should emrabce anything that makes the work more accessible!

    Martin: Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.