Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"The Moments I Was Born"

[A lovely meditation on birth & death by Carmen Leone—or I should say, “births & deaths”]

The Moments I Was Born
 

I never knew the moments I was born.
I knew they happened, but cannot recall
the place, the day, the time, the circumstance,
I never knew the moments that I died,
if they were just before I came to life
again, or if there was a kind of gap
where time just stopped and waited to resume.
Perhaps they weren’t moments after all.
Perhaps they came not like a hammer blow
but slowly, oozing in between the toes
and rising inch by inch, and lifting me
until I floated, lazily, and watched
the clouds of people slowly rolling by.
Perhaps there’s been no hint of life between
but only birth and death and birth again.


Carmen Leone
© to the author

2 comments:

  1. Wow.

    Loved these lines in particular:
    Perhaps they came not like a hammer blow
    but slowly, oozing in between the toes
    and rising inch by inch, and lifting me
    until I floated, lazily, and watched
    the clouds of people slowly rolling by.


    I like the sense of acceptance and optimism in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HKatz: That is indeed a good section, & I'd agree that acceptance & optimism are definitely touchstones here. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.