Tuesday, May 10, 2011

“Tea Party”

[Hey folks, how about a big Robert Frost’s Banjo welcome to our newest regular contributor, Rockstar Poet in Residence Barbie Dockstader Angell!  Barbie brings a unique poetic voice to the blog, & she’ll be paired with L.E. Leone on alternating poetic Tuesdays at least thru the summer.  The artwork is by Barbie as well.  Enjoy!] 


Tea Party


Welcome to my shell.

Please make yourself at home.
Hang your coat on my Insecurity.
Set your hat on that dusty old phone.

Wipe your feet on my Self-Esteem,
it’s lying in front of the door.
Sorry I can’t show you my Beauty,
I forgot to pick it up at the store.

There’s some Sanity there on the table....
not much, but take what’s left.
I’d show you my heart, but it’s out for repairs,
minor damage by my last guest.

Could you please hold this Grudge for a moment
while I check on the cake of Despair?
And let me know if you’re feeling cold,
I have plenty of Shame you can wear.

There’s fresh Wishes in the cookie jar,
I made them myself last nite,
or I can brew up a pot of Bitterness,
if you’re more in the mood for a fight.

I can’t offer intelligent chatter,
my Brain died while I was in school.
But if you’re hurting for some entertainment,
I’d be more than happy to play the fool.

Barbie Dockstader Angell
from And She Said… © 2009

7 comments:

  1. There’s some Sanity there on the table....
    not much, but take what’s left.
    I’d show you my heart, but it’s out for repairs,
    minor damage by my last guest.


    This and the last stanza are my favorites. The poem and the artwork seem inspired in part by Alice in Wonderland... this sounds like what the Mad Hatter might say to his guests on a dark day. But anyway I love the drollness mixed with the melancholy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HKatz: Droll melancholy is a good description--thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tea party. I feel very welcome in this shell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline: Thanks so much! You are always welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you hkatz. : ) yes, i am an admirer of alice. my sister & i painted wonderland murals on my writing room walls. i'm also obviously a big fan of personification. : )

    thanks caroline, she's supposed to be a considerate host, i'm glad that comes through clearly. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. *YAY* I'm very happy to see my two of my favorite writers working together here!

    This is a wonderful poem, Barbie! I can so totally relate to every line! *nods* Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rach: Thanks! I'm so happy to have Barbie's poetry & artwork here, & always appreciate your visits!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.