Friday, September 10, 2010

Homegrown Radio 9/10/10

Happy Friday, everybody!  Hope you’ve got your music ears on, because of course it’s time for another installment of Homegrown Radio with Scotty Houston.  Let’s see what Scotty has to say about this week’s song:

Believe it or not, I didn't hear Music From Big Pink until it had already been out for about 40 years.  Damn it.  It's nice to save dessert for last, but it breaks my heart that I missed out on that record for so long.  I wrote about 3/4 of this song last year and finished up this week (a deadline is a great motivator).  It's a crack at something in the style of The Band but of course it ends up sounding like me.  I really didn't want to have a title as lazy as "Roll On" but I would have no idea what else to call it.  Lyrically, it's less song about death than it is about rest after weariness.

Regarding the "homegrown" aspect of this week's recordings, the picture I sent last week tells the story:  super low-tech.  A Tascam DP-004 (the modern incarnation of the classic cassette four track) using only the built-in microphones, a cheapo effects box, and instruments.  Four tracks, some bouncing, no punch-ins, and just the mixing I can do manually on the four track. There's no computer schmiz except to send the mix to a file at the very end.

Thanks, Scotty!  Hope you enjoy the music—remember, you also can listen to last week’s song, “Next the Barometer” embedded in today’s DivShare player.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.