Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"WHOSE IDEA IT WAS"

[Oh my, I do love L.E. Leone’s latest poem!  Hope you do too!]

WHOSE IDEA IT WAS

 

We rode our bikes on a country road. Mine
had a sissy bar, of which I was proud.

When a car came from behind, we'd pretend

to lose control, my California cousin and me

swerving into the ditch, flying and tumbling
because we could. No one got hurt.

We got poison ivy. Who knows what
the drivers thought. None honked or stopped.

We laughed as we flew, the joke on them. Now

my cousin is gone. Now I live in California, have a long
distance lover. Our love, exactly like this.

L.E. Leone
© 2011

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! I'm sure many will relate to this; I know I do.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat: Yes, I think this is a lovely poem--glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline: Indeed! This is one of my favorite L.E. Leone poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knows what
    the drivers thought.

    That's another poem right there.

    This one felt like a clip from a home movie, and I like how the final lines take a step back from it and fit it into adult life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.