Saturday, March 7, 2009

Us


This morning’s post was a bit wistful (at least), wasn’t it? It’s true that the seasonal transitions can bring out these feelings in me—I even alluded to Old Possum himself once late last summer as the the first traces of autumn were moving in the skies. Despite that, however, this really is a happy day, because 12 years ago this date, Eberle came from Idaho to visit me in San Francisco, & that was the beginning of true romance & love & a deep friendship. Our relationship has been the greatest good fortune of my life, & as a celebration of this, I put together a slideshow of us over the years. The first picture is us in my San Francisco apartment (corner of Broderick & Grove in case you’re curious) back in ’97; the final picture in the slideshow is us this Valentine’s Day. In between you see us in Indian Valley, on the Salmon River, in Portland, on Ocean Beach, at a number of musical events, in Baker City, in Pasadena, on the Sonoma Coast. The pix were taken by any number of wonderful folks: Caty Clifton, Roberta Hamell, Dani Leone, Sue Rubin, Margot Kimball, Tim Hohs, the late Earl Brockman, Sister Mary Beverly, Audrey Bilger, Kathy Davis, Diane Vecchi & a couple of kindly strangers. The music behind the slideshow is a piece Eberle composed for our Rootabaga Country soundtrack; it was used during the “White Horse Girl, Blue Wind Boy” episode.

Hope you enjoy the music.

14 comments:

  1. That was very enjoyable - seeing your journey together in pictures. The love that you share is so obvious by your smiles and the way your happiness emanates from you. Clearly, you are "in tune" with each other.
    (Loved the stuffed animal collection!)
    Kevin and I celebrate our 15th anniversary on June 18, but we met 16 years ago, this July 14.

    How did you and Eberle first meet?

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat:

    Thanks for your kind words. Eberle & I knew each other when we were both in Charlottesville (where I got my MFA) in the 1980s; she was married to another man at the time, but we were friends. They were later divorced & the marriage was annulled (long story, because Eberle wasn't a Catholic at that time). We got back in touch in the mid 90s, & one thing led to another. We are both very happy to be together, as you observed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say? Lovely music, lovely pictures, lovely couple. I especially like the overhead shot of the two of you playing music on what looks like the back porch.

    T. and I have been together a little over five years now. I don't know what I'd do without her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot K: that pic was taken in Portland-- there was an art fair there-- relatively small affair, tho they got a decent number of vendors & did pretty well in sales. It was called Garden Eclectica, & Eberle & I played there for 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, what a lovely tribute to the two of you. The music is beautiful! The photos capture a happiness and much love and caring. Congratulations on the occasion.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed both the music and the photos, John. The one where you are standing on a cliff - is that Sonoma? It seems as if I've been there, but I'm not sure. Congratulations to you and Eberle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations you two. The video is beautiful music and two beautiful people. The photos show the love energy you share with one another and it radiates out to those who see you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, that was just great, all of it. And wha's wrong with wistful?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl: Thanks-- glad you enjoyed the music; I've always liked that piece.

    Sandra: Yes, the cliff is in Sonoma, just north of Bodega Bay. So glad you enjoyed the music & pix.

    Linda: Thanks for your touching words.

    Dave: Thanks to you! Good point re: wistful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many, many congratulations! I so enjoyed the lovely, lovely photos and music. What a handsome couple the two of you make! And you look so happy, too. Thanks for sharing your special day with us.

    Where were those incredible lilacs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Willow: Thanks for your kind words. Those lilacs are in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I went to bed last night I remembered that I had failed to say what lovely music Eberle had composed. It has a real Celtic feel to it.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey John, no story to the picture, It is one we took last spring at the Badlands and I was playing with on a websight my daughters turned me on to (Picnik.com.)
    It is kind of cool though.
    Did I mention I am trying to learn to play the banjo claw hammer style. Very beginning stages. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Randy-- I left a comment re: clawhammer banjo on your most recent post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.