Monday, January 25, 2016

Agnus Dei – Palestrina: “Missa Brevis”


I’ll be featuring music over the next several days—with very little if any commentary, though I will include links about the composer & the work. Today’s selection is the "Agnus Dei" from the "Missa Brevis" by the Renaissance composer Palestrina; most, however, will feature the music of Estonian composer Arvo Pärt.

Thanks as always.



Image links to its soruce on Wiki Commons
Crozier representing a lamb, Italian art. 13th century; carved ivory
Photohraph by Marie-Lan Nguyen, who has released the image into the public domain

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear Palestrina's work performed in the space he composed it for - St. Mark's in Venice. He would place segments of the choir around the nave in niches in the galleries, and then hocket the parts around the space to create a true 3-D sound. I'm told the experience is life-changing.

    And I can't wait for the Arvo Part (sorry, I'm on my cell phone and can't do umlauts) music. He's one of my favorite composers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.