Tuesday, February 7, 2012

“Science Fiction”

[L.E. Leone says: “I thought I would just go out and get something, and this is what I came back with.” & I say, “That’s the way to do it!”]

Science Fiction


The world's largest ball of twine. I forget
where that was but we liked the smell
of it. Put our hands on, and took pictures.
It was many times bigger than a cow, yet
smaller than the sun. 
In New Orleans
the sidewalks are evolving. They crack,
climb, crumble, drop off, disappear, re-
appear, move under your feet. Soon
they will lift off and carry you to work, or …

Today, the giant dumpster on my way
to the gym contains nothing but cardboard
boxes containing nothing, unbroken down
and empty. So Zen I could scream, or cut
myself. Or open a store and sell cigarettes
to children. I love it here, and life, the beads
hanging from branches and wires along
St. Charles. They've lost their color, but
sparkle like mud. Nobody recycles, never.


L.E. Leone
© 2012

2 comments:

  1. I forget
    where that was but we liked the smell
    of it.


    I don't think I've considered the smell of a ball of twine before. I also like the size spectrum of cow on one end and sun on the other. I never know what's coming next here, but it's usually both delightful and jarring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HKatz: Good point--tho after living for some years on an Idaho ranchette, I can say twine most definitely has a smell. Love your observations as always, & sorry to be so long in responding. Have been battling a cold all week--finally feeling human--& haven't been as on top of things as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.