Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Ode to Shel Silverstein"

 
[Today's post is a Barbie Angell triple-header! Not only do we have her wonderful poem & illustration for same, but we also have a video of Barbie performing it! & you can read in Barbie's own words why Shel Silverstein is her favorite poet right here on her site; finally, check below for even more Barbie Angell news!]


Ode to Shel Silverstein
 

Who are you when you’re with me?
Are you the you you’d like to be?
I’d like to be with you, you see
and be the me I’d like to be.

And if we two, that’s me and you,
were the “we” we wanted to,
would we be happy instead of blue,
if I were me and you were you?

But if I were you and you were me
oh what chaos that would be.
So you be you and I’ll be me
and all will wish
that they were we.

Barbie Angell
2009-the present




NOTE: I should mention that the new photo of Barbie on the blog’s sidebar is by North Carolina artist Jude Lally; indeed, Jude also designed the hat Barbie’s wearing in that photo. You can find out more about this talented artist here.

3 comments:

  1. Great poem with such depth and fun and I love the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! : ) i love performing that piece. it plays just as well to kids as it does in bars.

      Delete
    2. Hi Joyce & Barbie

      Joyce: Yes, definite depth & definite fun!

      Barbie: Thanks as always :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.