Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Where I’m At #57

Or is that #93? Or #12 & 35? Who knows, & who’s counting!

Did you miss me? Indeed, I had a fatiguing week last week—will spare you the details, but by the time Saturday morning came around, there was no question of an outing for photographs or much of anything else—I was flatout exhausted. Having taken it very easy the past few days, I’m beginning to feel human again.

So Wednesday finds me without a Rose City post to offer, just as Sunday found me without a photo of the week. Thank goodness for my wonderful poets in residence Carmen Leone & Barbie Angell, as they’re really keeping things afloat these days!

But having said that, I don’t think the good ship Robert Frost’s Banjo is actually sinking, & I do plan on returning to the world of blogging in the very near future. Whether or not the hiatus has been beneficial or detrimental I can’t say, but I also believe at this point it’s important for me personally to re-assert the blogging identity. In general, the period since about early February has found me in a marked creative lull on both the musical & poetic fronts, & while it seemed that stepping back from Robert Frost’s Banjo might somehow help in jump starting my creativity, I can’t say it’s had that effect—if anything, it’s had the unintended consequence of making the lull all that much more pronounced.

So I will be posting a Banjo Friday this week, & also will be posting an Any Woman’s Blues entry at the end of the month. I’m not sure how often the banjo & blues posts will come around in the near term, but I know those two at least will be appearing. & I fully expect Photo of the Week & Rose City Wednesday  to return next week.

I have been doing a bit of blogging on the side, however, in case you’re curious. If you know me, you know I thoroughly love baseball, & I recently decided I wanted to blog about it. The blog is Beer League Box Score, & it can be found here. I’m not entirely sure where I’m going with this one, but the few posts I’ve done so far have been fun for me. It’s worth pointing out that this is a fairly unconventional baseball blog as things now stand, & is likely to remain so.

In other news: saddened by the news of Doc Watson’s passing—a truly great & inspiring musician, & one who made massive contributions in furthering the appreciation of traditional U.S. music. More about Doc on Friday, but for now I leave you with one of his classic numbers, “Deep River Blues.”

Have a great Wednesday!

20 comments:

  1. That's a great photo of you and your pals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, for me personally your blog has been a way for me to connect to music past and present. I have fallen in love with Zoe Keating's music. I have discovered so many nuances to musicians and their music in general, by reading your words. Thank you for the time, effort, love and knowledge you funnel into your blog. Also I just love songs about rivers, so thanks for sharing this weeks video. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce: I really, really appreciate that, & I'm so happy to learn how much you like Zoe Keating's music, as I believe she is an extraordinary talent. Don't worry: I think there will be many more music posts to come.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the clip of Doc Watson.
    Sorry to hear that your blog does not improve the lull, but I certainly understand that. My blog sometimes has the effect of making me feel forced to produce something when I would rather it just came naturally. As for your posts, I always appreciate your perspective and the introduction to various artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine: I was thinking that a break from the blog might improve the lull, & in the long run I think the break will probably have proved to be a good thing. But I also feel that it's time to come back. Thanks so much for your kind & generous words!

      Delete
  4. Everyone needs a break now then. Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first, love the photo. : ) and b, i'm glad to see you're looking for a way out of the lull and not constraining yourself. VII, good luck. i hope you find what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barbie! If I only knew what I am looking for, I expect I'd be more apt to find it : )

      Delete
    2. there's a poem or a song in that you know. ; )

      Delete
    3. Barbie: You may be on to something there : )

      Delete
  6. I love that picture of you, John. And I wish you all the best, as always. :)

    I'm fixing to take a blogging break too...

    Wanted to check in before I left.

    I hope you have a great summer! And have fun with your baseball blog. Side-blogs can be so rewarding, and a great outlet; a way to sort of re-invent yourself without rocking the boat. Of course, sometimes boats need to be rocked. ;)

    Summer is always the best time for side-blogs, too...I think when I get back, I might start a photo or doll blog.

    Best of luck to you, John! Enjoy those deep river blues...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Ginger, I'm sorry to hear you'll be going on hiatus, & I'm sorry that I haven't been by your blog as I usually would. Your recent posting spree caught me at a time when I was really disengaged. But I'll try to get back & see what you've done. Will look forward to your return, & if you start a new blog, would love to hear about it. Thanks :)

      Delete
  7. You look so relaxed, so calm and cheerful and healthy and all that other good stuff that it's hard to believe you need a break or are in a lull. But I'm glad you haven't given up on the blog. It would leave a gap, as is obvious from some of these comments, in many places. Not that I want to put any pressure on you.
    Is that a vintage birdcage in the background? If so, what's in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do look that way, don't I? Of course that photo was taken almost 3 months ago, which was more toward the lull's inception & perhaps before I even recognized it as such. Not a birdcage--that's actually a floor lamp made by a local artist--don't know the details, as it was one of the many generous housewarming presents from my friends. The pull on the lamp is in the shape of a little bird.

      Meanwhile, thank you for all your support, both on & off the blog. It truly has meant a lot.

      Delete
  8. I can’t say it’s had that effect—if anything, it’s had the unintended consequence of making the lull all that much more pronounced.
    That's an interesting observation, implying that blogging can at least give you a little creative boost, or keeps the lull from deepening because at least you're doing and sharing creative things, if not yet in music and poetry as much as you'd like, then at least on your own corner of the web. I hope the lull ends soon. In thinking about some major changes that have happened in my own life over the past year the Paul Simon lyrics pop into my mind: "I'm on my way. I don't know where I'm going."

    I didn't know about the baseball blog, but I'll check it out. I've never been into baseball but your description of it as an unconventional baseball blog is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HKatz: Yes, that Paul Simon line sums up a lot for me too! I think I may have been burned out on the whole blogging process--as you probably know yourself, that can happen from time to time, & it's not the first time it's happened to me. It's also meant that I haven't visited other blogs very much, including yours which I always enjoy a great deal--so sorry about that, & expect me back reading & commenting soon!

      As far as the baseball blog goes: not to worry. Although it's unconventional, the subject matter is definitely not going to interest everybody, & not necessarily a fair proportion of readers here. In a way imagining that the baseball blog has a tiny readership (as it's not baseball enough for the typical baseball blog folks, & too much baseball for a lot of others) is liberating. I'm writing longer posts, for instance, than I would post on RFB these days.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.